Five Tips To Improve Your Health Today
Recently, Will Lenzen of FounderHealth.co interviewed me about my entrepreneurial endeavor (CB!) and my health habits as a yoga instructor. As part of the podcast, Will always ask the same question to all interviewees: What is one thing founders can do this week to improve their health?
While the podcast episode won’t be out until August, it got me thinking about how else I wanted to answer that question. You’ll have to wait until August to hear my answer, but here’s five for the road, folks:
1. Wear a non-chemical sunscreen every day. I like this one made by Josie Maran. Physical blockers (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) don’t contain any endocrine disruptors. Happy face, happy hormones.
2. Buy fresh flowers at least once a month. A luxury? Maybe. A mood booster? Definitely. If fresh flowers are too expensive, consider a potted plant. Snake plants, Easter Lilies and many others boast improved air quality. Orchids are beautiful and cheap (helllooo Trader Joes! tip: buy a grow light if you can handle the hue- your orchid will bloom forever!).
3. Find somewhere to walk to once a day. Maybe it’s to the store. Maybe it’s on the treadmill. Maybe it’s around the block. Wherever you go, make it a fun experience- wear comfortable shoes, charge up your iPod or grab your FitBit and feel even more accomplished. It doesn’t matter how far you go- really. If you make it a pleasurable experience, you’ll find yourself getting out and around more often, and that’s when you’ll start to see the real health benefits. Bonus: Walking outside balances melatonin, improving your circadian rhythm (read: better sleep quality!).
4. All water is not created equal. Drink LOTS of clean, non-fluoridated water. Make it easy. Have a water provider deliver a dispenser and a few five gallon jugs. Set your account on auto-pay. Go out and buy some pretty tea bags in delicious non-caffeinated flavors. Stock up on stevia, monk fruit or honey. In no time at all, you’ll watch your appetite disappear and energy improve.
5. Smile. It’s the fastest way to feel happy, get calm and look gorgeous.